City of Pickerington

Income Tax FAQs

Tax Rate, Taxable Income & Credits

The tax rate is 1%.

Yes, Pickerington gives a partial credit for taxes paid to another city. The credit is up to one-half of one percent (.005) of the wages taxed. For example, if you earned $50,000 which was taxed by Columbus, your credit to Pickerington is $250 ($50,000 x .005). Please note that this credit cannot be given unless you submit a W-2 showing the wages taxed by another city.

IMPORTANT: If you have requested or received a refund from the city in which tax was withheld, you must provide documentation as it may affect the credit allowed on line 10 of the Individual Tax Return.

Pickerington taxes all earned income. Your federal wage excludes wages or salary that has been deferred, such as to a 401(k) or other retirement plan. Pickerington taxes this wage when it is earned; however, once you retire and begin to draw money from your 401(k) or retirement plan, Pickerington does NOT tax this money, as we have taxed it when it was originally earned.

Yes. Net operating losses may be carried forward for five (5) years beginning tax year 2017. For tax year 2023, any unused loss from 2018-2022 may be used to offset gains. For tax year 2022 and prior, the prior-year loss carryforward is limited to 50%. Any loss used from prior year cannot exceed current-year gain. The remaining loss that was not used in the current year will carry forward (except the oldest year which will expire). No portion of a net operating loss shall be carried back against net profits of any prior year.

The NOL allowed for 2016 and prior still follows the old law of a one-year carry forward only.


No. A schedule loss cannot be used to offset salaries, wages, commissions, or other compensation, or non-business income; however, a schedule loss may be carried forward to offset a future gain. See question above for additional information on a net operating loss (NOL).

No. If you work in another city that taxes your local wages, you will receive one-half of one percent (.005) credit against those wages on your Pickerington return. Your taxes are paid first to the city in which you work. Your residence city does not receive any of those taxes; therefore, it cannot be refunded.

No. Taxes are paid first to the city in which you work. Even though you are not a resident of Pickerington, you benefit from the police and emergency services, snow removal and street maintenance which are funded by these municipal taxes. Your residence city may give you a credit for the taxes you paid to Pickerington.

The City of Pickerington has ninety (90) days to process refund requests; however, the processing time is typically 30-60 days.

Who is Required to File a Pickerington Return

  • All Pickerington residents 18 years of age or older are required to file returns annually, even if no income is earned, unless fully retired or permanently disabled.

  • Non-residents are required to file only when they earn income within the City of Pickerington which is not fully withheld upon, or have a business or rental property in the City.

  • Additionally, every business located in or performing services in the City is required to file annual returns. All returns are required regardless of the amount of income received or losses incurred.

The due date for calendar year taxpayers is April 15th. The due date for fiscal taxpayers is 3 ½ months after fiscal year end.

If you were under 18, your employer is not required to withhold taxes for you. If your employer withheld Pickerington tax, you may file for a refund using the refund claim form below.

Refund Claim Form

Social Security income and pension income are not taxable by Pickerington. If this is your only source of income, you are not required to file a return; however, if you are retired, but receive other types of income, such as part-time wages or rental income, you are required to file a return and pay tax on that income.

Yes. If you maintain Pickerington as your permanent legal residence, you are required to file a return even though much of your time may be spent out of the City. Any income that you earn is taxable to Pickerington regardless of where it is earned.

There is no benefit or potential reduced tax liability when filing separately for the City of Pickerington. Therefore, to reduce processing and account maintenance, the City of Pickerington respectfully requests that all married couples file a joint return and maintain one account.

Maybe. Not all addresses with a 43147 zip code are within the Pickerington city limits. To determine if your address is within the City, please review our street listing.

Street Listing

You are required to file a Pickerington tax return for any portion of the year that you were a resident. Taxable income will be based on the income you earned while a resident only (unless the income was earned within the City of Pickerington, in which case it is fully taxable).

Electronic Filing of Returns

If you lived in Pickerington for the full year, you will be able to electronically file your Pickerington tax return via our e-filing system; partial-year residents must file a paper form. If you are requesting a refund, you must mail your return; otherwise, the overpayment will be automatically applied as credit for the following year.

No. If you are requesting a refund, you must mail your return; otherwise, the overpayment will be automatically applied as credit for the following year.

Filing Questions & Mistakes

We would be happy to assist you. You may visit our office without an appointment Monday – Friday between 8 am and 5 pm. You are welcome to drop off your documentation and pick it up from us after the return is completed. Please note that if you stop by in April, your wait will be longer due to the high volume of taxpayers we assist.

Documentation is required to support all income, credits, and adjustments shown on your City return. Examples of necessary forms, if applicable: W-2s (showing Federal, Medicare and Local wage amounts, and amount of local tax withheld for all cities); 1099s, Federal Schedules 1, C, E, F, K or K-1; Form 2106 and Schedule A; Federal Form 1040, 1065, 1120 or 1120-S and supporting schedules; documentation to support part-year residency. Failure to include any of these supporting items will delay the processing of your return and will require you to send the information to us at a later date.

By far, the biggest mistake is not attaching W-2s to your return or attaching the wrong W-2. If you are claiming a credit for taxes paid to another city, you must provide the copy of your W-2 which names the city to which taxes were paid. If you are claiming credit for Pickerington tax withheld, you must provide the copy of the W-2 that shows Pickerington City in box 20. Please note that Pickerington SD, Pick 2307 or any variation including the numbers 2307 are not Pickerington City taxes.

If you received a correction notice from the Tax Department, please don't panic! We have simply noted an error on your return or need additional information from you. The most common reason we send this notice is to request a W-2 showing wages taxed by another city, or taxes paid to the City of Pickerington. We also send this notice if the amount you claimed in estimated payments or prior year credits is incorrect (you can verify you are claiming the correct amounts by accessing your account online). The third most common reason we send this notice is if you used the wrong taxable wage on your return. Pickerington taxes box 5 or box 18 (whichever is higher) on your W-2.

Online Account

Yes. Pickerington2307 (or any variation of 2307) is income tax for Pickerington Local School District. This tax cannot be claimed as a credit toward your City of Pickerington tax liability.

Beginning January 1, 2016, state law provides that tax liabilities of $10 or less are not required to be collected. If your return shows a balance due of $10.01 or greater, the entire balance is required to be paid; however, if the balance due is $10 or less, you do not need to send payment.

Beginning January 1, 2016, state law provides that overpayments of $10 or less are not required to be refunded. Therefore, Pickerington will not refund any amount that is $10 or less.

No. Online tax programs such as Turbo Tax, H&R Block Online, Free Tax USA, Tax Act, etc. do not include the City of Pickerington tax return. You must file through our website, send a paper return with W-2s attached, or have the City of Pickerington file your return at no charge.

Yes. The City of Pickerington does not have the capability to receive electronically filed returns from your accountant's software at this time. You must mail the prepared tax return, W-2s, and any other supporting documentation to the Pickerington Tax Department at 100 Lockville Road, Pickerington, Ohio 43147.

School District Income Tax

No. The City of Pickerington does not administer income tax for Pickerington Local School District. This tax is administered by and must be filed with the Ohio Department of Taxation.

No. Please call 1-800-282-1780 or visit the Ohio Department of Taxation for questions regarding school district tax.

Ohio Department of Taxation

Real Estate & Property Tax

No. Real estate and other property taxes are administered by the Fairfield County Auditor. Please call 740-652-7030 or visit the Fairfield County Auditor website for questions.

Fairfield County Auditor